My life may not perfect but it is blessed because I have a wonderful Lord and Savior who knows me and loves me anyway!


Friday, June 17, 2011

Father's Day

“Behold, children are a gift from the Lord… How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them…” – Psalm 127:3,5 

I believe that I have the best father on this earth!  I'm sure that I am not the only one who feels that way about their father!  I don't ever let a day go by that I don't thank my Lord for allowing me to be the daughter of such a great man.  I do realize that there are many who will not or have not ever had the experiences of having a good father in their life and it breaks my heart knowing this.

My father, first and foremost gave me the gift of knowing Jesus.  I have never known a life without Christ.  Even when there have been times in my life where I have strayed off of the path of righteousness, I always had that tugging at my heart knowing that I could not ever disappoint my father or my Heavenly Father. 

Second, he gave me the gift of loving my mother.  He has always treated my mother as his equal.  He honors her and supports her through all things.  What a wonderful example he showed me of how my spouse should treat me.  One of my best memories was when my father would take me out on "dates".  He would take me to dinner and a movie.  This was he could show me the proper way a date should treat me when I started dating.  These things stuck so well with me and I will always love him for those lessons!

My father taught me the value of hard work, honest work.  If you say you are going to do something for someone, you'd better make good on what you've promised.  Your word is your bond and your reputation speaks volumes!  To this day, my father is respected by so many in his work, his home and by those who have had the honor of knowing him in a leadership capacity in the church.

My father also taught me life-skills.  How to survive if you were to only be able to depend upon yourself for survival. He taught me to hunt and fish.  He not only taught me to use tools, he also taught me the proper name of them! I can work on a car and change a tire.

I know Hallmark picks one day of the calendar year to "honor" our fathers.  However, shouldn't every day be a day to honor our fathers?  God had a reason for putting this commandment in the Big Ten!  Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother.

I am proud to be the daughter of such a great man!  I pray that he feels just as blessed to have children who respect him so much! 

No comments: